Max & STEVE are the main characters in Boss 101 , and a playable character in Indie Game Battle.
- Jab (1st hit): Max punches with one hand.
- Jab (2nd hit): Max punches with the other hand.
- Jab (3rd hit): Max kicks forward.
- Forward tilt: Max kicks while pushing his machine gun forward.
- Up tilt: Max swings the machine gun upward. Useful for setting up basic air combos.
- Down tilt: Max sweeps the floor with his machine gun.
- Forward smash: Max charges up then punches as he flies forward. Has super armor.
- Up smash: Max launches himself upward while doing an uppercut.
- Down smash: Max spins on the floor, with STEVE leaving behind a trail of fire around them.
- Neutral air: Max spins and STEVE leaves a circle of fire around them.
- Forward air: Max fires his machine gun, up to a burst of 6 bullets.
- Back air: Max spins and STEVE blasts fire behind them.
- Up air: Max angles his machine gun diagonally upward and fires up to 6 bullets.
- Down air: Max angles his machine gun diagonally downward and fires up to 6 bullets.
- Neutral special: Max readies his machine gun and continually fires as long as the special button attack is held down.
- Side special: Max fires a rocket fist forward.
- Up special: STEVE activates jetpack mode, and they can move around freely and attack while in flight, at the cost of continuous PP consumption.
- Down special: Max activates his reflector and can be held down.
- Super Attack: Max changes to his super form (Golden Max), gaining super armor and immense attack and knockback power.